If you love baking and are pondering whether to turn your hobby into a profitable venture, you sure will need help along the way.
Ponder on these
Starting a bakery is not a piece of cake; before you plan, you need to ask yourself a few questions.
- Do you want to start a new bakery or acquire an existing business?
- What type of bakery do you plan on running?
- What is your marketing strategy?
- How do you plan on pricing your goods?
- How much amount of profit are you expecting to earn?
- Are you planning to bake the products or seeking to hire talent?
Types of bakery services-
Know that bakeries can be broadly classified as:
- Online Bakeries-
As a baker, you can sell your baked goodies by selling through online methods. However, you need to purchase the required licenses after which you can design your website for featuring the goods. Allcakeprices.com is an excellent example of an online bakery that offers cakes from several providers. Look into Instagram advertising agencies to help promote your business.
- Counter Service-
These are the traditional kind of bakeries where the staff attend to the customers and offer quick service. The shoppers select their items and make the payment, after which the goods are wrapped and delivered.
- Specialty Service-
Specialty service bakeries specialize in particular baked foods. Customers place an order describing their preferences. These bakeries are inclusive of pastry chefs, and customized cake shops offering wedding and birthday cakes.
At sit-down bakeries, customers have seating areas, menu options, and waiting services. Such bakeries can attract more people and proves to be very profitable. They are similar to cafes, the only difference being that these joints serve only baked products.
There is a range of baking supplies you will need for running a bakery:
- Shelves- You require shelves for displaying the items. Also, you can store your ingredients, utensils plates, and other supplies in these storage spaces.
- Baking Gear- As part of your baking equipment, you would require commercial mixers and other accessories. You have a choice between stand mixers and tabletop ones. You will also require machines for trimming, folding, preparing the dough and crimping for baking pastries. Additionally, you need slices for the preparation of bagels and bread loaves.
- Ovens- You need ovens for your baking expeditions. However, you must know the number of ovens that are required as you will be serving crowds of people.
- Utensils- In bakeries, appliances such as flour sifters and dough cutters are needed. Different tools are used depending on the items that are on offer in your menu. Therefore, you should plan accordingly.
On a concluding note, you should note some additional things that need consideration. You should monitor the best-sellers and the time of the year that you record the highest sales of those items. Also, it helps to review the prices as and when the situation demands.
Keep in mind that you will have many competitors. However, you should identify ways of distinguishing your business for standing out amongst your peers.