I’ve not been massively active on my blog this week as unfortunately I’ve been ill. However that has given me some time to think about a few posts I’ve wanted to make. This one sees a new feature, that will come up as and when I think of anything. Welcome to Addiction…
Addiction Number 1 is t-shirts.
My name is Bel Smith and I am a t-shirt addict. It’s been five minutes since my last purchase…
Just over a year ago, my brother bought me a t-shirt from a website called TeeFury. He’d mentioned the site to me a couple of times but I’d never really taken much notice, until he got me this t-shirt.
The basic concept of the site is that one t-shirt is printed every day and is only available for those 24 hours. Once its gone, its gone. Artists submit their original work, usually mashups of two tv shows, two movies, two games etc. and so they’re not t-shirts you’ll find everywhere else. That’s not to say you won’t find them elsewhere, but just not in the high street shops. The site usually features most mainstream fandoms, so if you’re a typical geek then you’ll love it. I have the site bookmarked on my browser and check it daily (see? addicted!).
Over the past 12-13 months, I have purchased all these t-shirts from TeeFury:
In this selection there are references to; How I Met Your Mother, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, Dr Horrible’s Sing-along-blog, Wizard of Oz, Beatles, Iron Man, Iron Giant, Indiana Jones, Bubble Bobble, Walking Dead, Geek Symbols, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Alice in Wonderland and Dr Who. Looking at it, this covers vast majority of my fandoms.
However my addiction isn’t limited to just TeeFury. Oh no. A few months later I found another site called Qwertee. This is a UK based site (or at least Europe somewhere), whereas TeeFury is US. The prices are very similar at $11 plus $4 for TeeFury and £8 plus £2.50 for Qwertee. That said, Qwertee t-shirts do come a lot faster than TeeFury (location of course) and Qwertee’s t-shirts also come with free Haribo!
Sometimes you see duplicates across the two sites of course – artists submit to as many sites as possible I imagine – but often you also get a lot of new stuff. The advantage even to duplicates is that if you missed it on one site, you often can catch it on the other.
My Qwertee collection looks like this:
Here you have references to; Game of Thrones, Thor, Iron Man, Ghost Rider, Nightmare before Christmas, Captain America, Disney, Walking Dead, Care Bears, Avengers, Princess Bride, Harry Potter, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Supernatural, Lord of the Rings, Tea & Coffee, How I Met Your Mother, Monsters Inc. and Wikipedia.
If I’m not at work, you can just about guarantee I’m wearing a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. At roughly £10 a t-shirt I have no problem buying these tops as and when I see ones I like. Though it may seem like a lot, if you consider that there is a t-shirt a day, over two sites, for at least the last year – I’ve done pretty well to only have about thirty five tops in total. Mind you, that’s not to say I haven’t bought other t-shirts.
These t-shirts above are ones I have bought from other places, not Qwertee or TeeFury. Not all of them are “original artwork” like the other two sites, but they’re still pretty unique. The “I am a Muggle” tee is from TruffleShuffle, while the Avengers one is from Play.com. True Story, the Toy Story and HIMYM mashup, along with the Ravenclaw Qudditch team one, are both from RedBubble (both ones I missed originally on TeeFury). Finally the GoT meets Street Fighter (or similar games) mashup is from a site I’m relatively new to called RIPT.
While these are a look at all my current owns, I have to admit that I’ve recently stumbled onto a billion more sites to keep an eye on. I probably shouldn’t be encouraging anyone else to get addicted, but if you love fandoms and t-shirts anywhere near as much as me – and if you can definitely appreciate a good mashup plus original artwork – these are the places to look at.
24 Hour Tees
TeeFury – $11 tees (plus ability to pick 1 of 3 colours), long established and offering a good rate of postage
Qwertee – £8 tees, long established, cheap postage and free sweets!
RIPT Apparel – $10 a top, also offering kids t-shirts, hoodies, iphone covers etc. good postage rate.
Shirt Punch – Pop Culture or TV – basically 2 sites but 3 designs, t-shirts, hoodies, iphone cases, posters etc. Starts a $10 and reasonable postage.
Shirt Woot (part of a whole Woot site) – $12, not sure about postage, lots of other designs also available but varying prices. Other products also available on one day Woot.
TeeVillain – a very very new site that I haven’t yet ordered anything from (opened only this week). Basically designs all featuring Villains. $11 each.
Slightly longer, but no more than 2-3 days
Epic Embrace – 48 hour tees. $11
The Yetee – 48 hours. $11 (other tees available)
OtherTees – 3 days. $11
TeeTee – 72 hours. €12
NwB – 3.5 day tees. $12 tee, $32 hoodie (other tees available)
However if you can’t be bothered to check all these, every day. Go here: Shirtoid
Shirtoid is basically a site that rounds up all the cool tees and puts them in one place. It features links to the one t-shirt a day sites, the every few days t-shirts and even the ones that are there longer term. It links to Redbubble artists shops, along with artist shops on other sites. Its also followable on Facebook and Twitter.
Now go, go! What are you waiting for? Go find yourself a really Legen… wait for it… dary T-shirt!!
In the last 24 hours, I have been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award twice! This is both amazing and awesome, as I’ve only been blogging for about a week. As there is quite a lot involved, I’m going to put both nominations in the same post, though I have two lots of 11 questions to answer.
I will only be posting one lot of 9 nominations for other blogs, as I barely even follow any at this time to recommend. Scrap this, just made some recommendations, not nominations, see below.
Firstly a massive thank you to Amy over at Cocktails in Teacups, who nominated me for my first award last night. Amy is someone I technically met via the internet, approx 8 years ago, but is now one of my real life best friends. Her blog is awesome so you should check it out. Secondly thanks goes to Rhiannon over at The Sparkly Panda, who was the third person I chose to follow, after starting my blog last week!
These are the rules for the Liebster Blog Award (as per Amy and Rhiannon’s nomination post)
– List 11 random facts about yourself
– Answer the 11 questions which are given to you by your nominator
– Ask 11 new questions for all the bloggers that you nominate to with the award
– Nominate 9 bloggers with less than 200 followers to win the award
– Go to each of the blogger’s pages to let them know about their nomination
11 Random Facts
1. I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I have one tattoo only and its of the Deathly Hallows. I ran (and still run) a Harry Potter RPG called Deckleswood for over 10 years. I prefer the books to the movies, but have all of both. I visited the Harry Potter Studios in Watford for my birthday last year, I have a ticket to Leaky Con this year, and I would love to visit Florida so I could go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
2. I am a single mum of two beautiful little girls. I have been married (and divorced/separated) twice but currently live with my boyfriend after being single for two and a half years. I genuinely didn’t expect to ever be in a relationship again after my last marriage ended.
3. I know a ridiculous amount of Chris’. My younger brother is called Chris, as is my Uncle. My ex was a Chris, my current partner is a Chris and one of my closest friends is called Chris. I even know several Christine’s which makes a few more Chris’. One of my best friends’ ex was a Chris, my eldest daughter’s best friend has a dad called Chris… and so on and so on.
4. I love, love, LOVE Disney! I have over a shelf and a half of Disney DVDs, my Chamilia bracelet is full of only Disney charms and I collect the Disney Traditions Ornaments. I think Hercules is completely underated just because it isn’t technically a Princess movie.
5. I have a huge crush on Wil Wheaton. It only began in the last year after starting to watch The Guild. After that I discovered Tabletop and since then he has become my Number One crush. During a Games Night this weekend, I insisted on taking pictures of us play, just so I can post to As Seen On Tabletop. I would absolutely love this plush.
6. I have an addiction to buying unique t-shirts, especially those found on Qwertee and Tee Fury. I have two whole drawers of t-shirts in my dresser, one of which is completely dedicated to the t-shirts I have bought from these sites. It’s full.
7. I am ashamed to admit that I love playing facebook’s Farmville 2. Though I have also played facebook games like Sims, Sim City, Chefville, Cityville and several others, Farmville 2 is the only one I’ve stuck with. I try to go on first thing in the morning, midday and again before bed. It verges on unhealthy…
8. My dad died at almost exactly the same time as I fell pregnant with my first daughter. I’m not completely sure I believe in that whole “as one dies, another is born” type of thing, but its sort of comforting to know I might have lost my dad, but I gained one of the most precious things in my life. While its been almost 9 years since my dad died, I sometimes still get a little teary when I think about him, especially connected to my two girls. I know he would have made an awesome grandad and I just wish my daughters had had the chance to see what a funny/amazing/[enter other great words here] guy he was.
9. I absolutely hate shopping, specifically clothes shopping and especially shoe shopping. I don’t really know why, though these days some of it is probably to do with my size and weight. However I’ve never especially enjoyed it, even when I was younger and thinner. I prefer to shop and browse when I don’t need anything, rather than when I have to find something inparticular.
10. I know more Moshi Monster and Moshling names, than I do countries (thats only a guesstimate but I’m pretty sure its true). My two daughters are MAD about Moshi Monsters and have been for almost a year now. We have well over 100 moshlings and god only knows how many other toys, books, magazines and so on. Sadly I can name pretty much each and every one.
11. I can only count up to 10! Haha, not really but my brain is mush, realised I’d taken 2 hours to make this post and only done up to 10 facts! I can’t possibly think of an 11th fact right now, so just go with ‘I fail at counting to 11’.
11 Questions from Amy
1. What new years resolutions did you make? (if any, if not, why?)
To lose weight. I started last year but let it slide towards Christmas. I want to get back on track. It wasn’t really a new years resolution so much as a personal goal.
2. If you won the lottery what would be the first thing you’d buy?
Because I hardly ever have a huge amount of money in my bank account, and lottery winnings take a while to come through, I guess I would buy something within my bank balance budget to begin with. I always joked that it would be the £100 gift box from Lush.
3. If someone asked for a book recommendation, what would you give them?
Hunger Games. This is by far the best read I had in 2012. That said I would also add Harry Potter to the list, all seven books. A few obscure finds would also include: Afterwards – Rosamund Lupton & Before I Go To Sleep – S. J. Watson.
4. What is the one place you really HAVE to visit before you die?
Paris. It sounds like a fairly simple want but despite planing a trip there at least 3 times, I’ve never managed an actual holiday there. I have been to Disneyland Paris (and will be going again in February) but I would love a romantic weekend away (no kids) in Paris itself.
5. If you had one piece of advice for your 16 year old self, what would it be?
Take life less seriously and enjoy it more. Things only get harder.
6. What TV show that no longer airs do you miss most?
Tru Calling. To be honest I miss pretty much every good show that got cancelled midway, but Tru Calling was so good and didn’t even make it past 3 episodes into the second series. Such a shame.
7. What one hobby do you wish you’d pursued?
Acting. I know I still could technically, but its much harder with children. I feel sure both my daughters have the ability to be amazing actresses and I’m not sure if I’d be pleased for them or incredibly jealous!
8. If you could time travel to what age, what one would you go to and why?
Something in the future I think, something unknown and not discovered yet. It would be much more exciting than traveling back I think. Failing that I’d like to find myself a Doctor Who and see it all.
9. What is the thing you most find attractive about the opposite sex? (or same, I’m pro equal rights)
Sense of humour. While looks grab your attention sometimes, its not the be all and end all. Someone who can make you laugh and genuinely happy is the biggest attraction for me.
10. Who/what is your blogger inspiration?
At the moment, me. I’m still just finding my feet and figuring out what I want to blog about. That said the blog I’ve been reading the longest is that of Amy.
11. And finally… coffee or tea?
Tea, definitely tea. In the last 3 days we’ve managed to make it through SO many teabags, and only 2 out of 4 people in this house were drinking it (the other two on coffee). Unlike some people I don’t have tea at sometimes and coffee at others, I nearly ALWAYS have tea. That said, if I go to “meet someone for coffee”, I do purchase coffee. One of my favourite things about Christmas is also when the Starbucks red cups arrive and then I can’t live without Gingerbread Latte.
11 Questions from Rhiannon
1. If you are stuck on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?
A part of me wants to say my children, but at the same time I’d hate for them to be stuck on a desert island (and I think we might possibly kill each other if we spent too much time alone, just the three of us). Therefore I’ll go with my Kindle (fully stocked with heaps to read), a nice comfy pillow and… wait for the soppy part, my partner.
2. Do you have a hidden talent?
I can open beer bottles with my teeth, if that’s a hidden talent?
3. Dress/Skirt or trousers to wear for the rest of your life?
Trousers, 100% – specifically jeans. I live day in, day out, in jeans and a t-shirt.
4. What’s your favourite flavour of cupcake?
Really boring and really simple, just something chocolate (but not white chocolate). I’m not a massive fan of cupcakes mind you.
5. What are you biggest blog inspirations?
I suppose to build up some followers who are genuinely interested in what I have to say. Right now I’m just enjoying it for my own sake and hoping that it will kick me into writing other (maybe more useful) things.
6. 10 years from now, where do you want to be?
I would love to be a famous author. Not famous for the fame exactly, just famous in the sense of known, appreciated and anticipated. I’d like to be able to write for a living.
7. What is the one food you could live on forever?
Pizza. Definitely Pizza. In fact, for two years of my life, myself, my brother and our mutual friend, pretty much did. We were broke post of the time and they both worked at Frankie and Benny’s.
8. What is your favourite day of the year?
Probably Christmas. Not for my own gifts, but for my kids. I love how excited they get, how pleased they are. I love the family feeling that Christmas Day gives, how everyone tries to get along, not argue, make the day special etc. While its expensive and a huge build up for just one day, I always think its so worth it, just for the happiness that can come from the kids.
9. Morning or night person?
Night. I’m a terrible morning person. While I can get straight up and out of bed (you get used to it with children) I’d much rather lay in bed, never get out until I wanted to. At night I always just feel like there aren’t enough hours or free time without children, before being practical and getting some sleep.
10. How do you spend your free time?
Recently my life has been going through a lot of changes, so its hard to say overall. I guess right now I spend it catching up on a bit of TV (love Sky +), playing Farmville 2 and writing my blog.
11. Why did you start blogging?
Its something I’ve tried a couple of times before but never really stuck to. I’ve always had a lot of other stuff going on that required a lot of writing and I think my creativeness got all used up. Now I’m looking for an outlet for my writing and blogging seems to be it.
My Blog Nominations
This is supposed to be a nomination of 9 people, however I only currently follow 8 blogs (I only started a week ago). Of those 8 blogs, only 4 qualify for this award (under 200 followers) and 2 of those are the people who nominated me. Of the remaining two people who qualify, one is Kate at Just Pirouette and Carry On, but she has been nominated by both the people I was and I’ve found two more than enough to handle, without giving her a third. Finally that leaves Lindsey at The Mouse Linguist – a friend I knew outside the blogging world, just uprooted her life and living in Korea. I have no idea if she’s really looking for followers or not but you should check out her blog and see what you think.
As such I’m not going to nominate anyone at this time. However having looked through both The Sparkly Panda‘s nominations and Cocktails in Teacup‘s nominations, here are a few more blogs I have added today.